Dr. Antoanella Calame is a fellowship-trained dermatologist who combines the latest scientific advances with the clinical art of medicine. She has expertise in Mohs surgery and dermatopathology, which studies skin diseases on the cellular level. Dr. Calame welcomes new patients.
- Fellowship, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dermatopathology
- Residency, University of California, San Diego, Dermatology
- B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, California Lutheran University
- M.D., University of California, San Diego
- San Diego Dermatologic Society – President (2011-2013)
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Medical Association
- American Board of Dermatology, Dermatology, 2007
- American Board of Dermatology, Dermatopathology, 2009
Awards & Publications
- Diffuse erythema and dry scales in a female infant. X-linked dominant Conradi-Hunermann-Happle (CHH) syndrome. Ali L, Ricotti C, Li L, Calame A, Brouha B, Helm T, Cockerell C. Am J Dermatopathol. 2011 May;33(3):316, 331.
- Cutaneous Manifestations of HIV Disease – Clay Cockerell and Antoanella Calame, Manson Publishing Ltd, 1st edition, 2012
- Dean of Student’s Award For Contributions to the Medical School Community, UCSD School of Medicine
- Robert W. Goltz Excellence in Teaching Award – June 2012, UCSD Division of Dermatology
- Cutaneous Manifestations of HIV Disease. Crystal Thomas, MD, Antoanella Calame, MD, Clay Cockerell, MD. In: Sauer’s Manual of Skin Disease, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 10th edition, 2010
- Sweet’s syndrome and subacute thyroiditis: an unrecognized association? Richard J, Lazarte S, Calame A, Lingvay I. Thyroid. 2010 Dec;20(12):1425-6.
- Dean’s Award (Valedictorian), June 1996, California Lutheran University
- NIH Grant Recipient – For Studying the Propagation of a Chromosome Break in Human Cytomegalovirus Infected Fibroblasts, June 1999, UCSD SOM
- Merck Award for Best Medical Students – June 2002, UCSD School of Medicine
- Outstanding Teaching Awards – June 2010 (Faculty of the Year) and June 2008 (Fellow of the Year), Department of Dermatology, University of Texas, Southwestern, Dallas, Texas
Fortified Provider Network
Galaxy Health Network PPO
Affiliated Health Funds
Arizona Foundation (AZFMC)
Blue Shield of California
Community Health Group
County of San Diego
First Health / CCN
First Health Network
Health Management Network
Health Smart Workers Compensation
Integrated Health Plan
National Provider Network/Medavant
All PPOs (Out-of-Network) accepted
Pacific Foundation for Medical Care
Prime Health Services
Scripps Health Plan
St. Paul’s Eldercare
USA Managed Care
Vantage Medical Group
Marianna I Feb 08, 2016
I've had a wonderful experience at this office! Dr. Calame is terrific. She took the time to answer all my questions, was thorough, thoughtful and extremely helpful. Her staff is great - friendly, courteous, and accommodating. So happy that I found this place! Would gladly recommend to anyone.
Amanda W Feb 02, 2016
I have been going to Poway Dermatology for about a year now. I really love all the people in the office, from Beverly and Autumn at the front counter, to the team of dermatologists. They helped me deal with my acne issues and I have had great results. I recently got a Vi Peel and I had a great experience. I was really nervous about doing it. The dermatologist who did it was really awesome and he explained everything that would happen. Also, the nurse did a great job letting me know what to do for care after the peel. Everyone is really good at making sure you are comfortable. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a caring and knowledgeable team of people to help with any skin concerns.
Valerie M Feb 02, 2016
I love Dr. Calame and last time I was in, I saw an assistant. He was young but great! He actually was willing to burn off a little tag I had on my eyeliner line close to my eye that my Dr. was too scared to. He did it with confidence and easy. It's gone! This time I visited, I saw a brand new Dr. Dr. Bedford. He not only has a great southern accent and charm, but he's easy on the eyes. He was very kind and the spot I came in to check on, turned out to be nothing. I won't at all seeing him again.. The front office staff is not only cool to listen to with the South African accents, but nice and friendly also. They remind you of your appointments and then send you a thank you for coming. I like that they have put in place a follow up system that reminds us of them. Great marketing.. The office has plenty of the latest rags and some news worthy ones as well. Clean and water available. Bathrooms right out in the lobby on the ground floor right as you come in the building. Just an fyi, I would try to hid the pic of the huge lipped girl. That will scare patients away from injections. From someone who has worked in the industry for years, I wouldn't let someone inject me that got results like that. (I also know some patients don't know when enough is enough!)
Yoon P Jul 28, 2015
I have been to a lot of dermatologists in San Diego and I have to say, I have never been cared so sincerely and greatly other than Dr. Calame at Poway Dermatology! She answered all of my questions thoroughly and was extremely helpful throughout my visit, and even resolved some of my concerns on the spot! I am definitely coming back next time I have skin concerns. She is the best!
* Reviews have been sourced and collected through a mix of verified Doctible patients and other publicly available directories.