Born and raised in Roanoke, Virginia, Dr. Atkins graduated from the University of Virginia with a B.A. in Environmental Sciences. He received his D.D.S. from Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia in 1983 and completed his residency in Pediatric Dentistry there in 1985, receiving academic and clinical excellence awards in both general and pediatric dentistry. Dr. Atkins began private practice in the West End of Richmond in 1985, at which time he also began serving on the faculty in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry at VCU/MCV.
Dr. Atkins is a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry and a Fellow in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, the American College of Dentists, and the International College of Dentists. He is a member of Delta Sigma Delta Dental Fraternity , Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Dental Society, and the Pierre Fauchard Academy. He is active in many professional organizations including the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology, both the Virginia and the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry, the Richmond Dental Society, the Virginia Dental Association, and the American Dental Association. He has frequently held offices for these organizations, as well as editing and contributing to their publications. Dr. Atkins also enjoys membership in several area dental study clubs.
A tireless advocate for both the children of the Commonwealth and dental education, Dr. Atkins regularly donates his time and expertise to the Mission of Mercy Project, Give Kids a Smile, and to working with lobbyists at the General Assembly towards the goal of improved dental and health care for all children. In addition, he is a member of the Dental Advisory Committee to the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services.
Dr. Atkins is married and has one child. His spare time interests include running, golf, and technology.
- William Fleming High School Roanoke, VA. Graduated with Honors - 1975
- University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA. B. A. - Environmental Sciences - 1979
- Medical College of Virginia School of Dentistry Richmond, VA. Completed two year residency in Pediatric Dentistry and received Certificate - June 1985
- Medical College of Virginia School of Dentistry Richmond, VA D.D.S. - 1983
- Delta Sigma Delta Supreme Chapter
- Virginia Society of Pediatric Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- American Society of Dentistry for Children
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- Virginia Dental Association
- Apollonia Dental Study Club
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry - Fellow
- Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry
- Richmond Dental Society