Dr. James Hatfield is a native Southern Californian. He grew up on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, south of Los Angeles. He attended California State Polytechnic University in Pomona, receiving his bachelor's degree in physical sciences.
This was followed by the podiatric medical school at the California College of Podiatric Medicine in San Francisco and three years in the U.S. Air Force, where he completed his residency in podiatric surgery.
Dr. Hatfield established his practice in Encinitas in 1978. He was the first podiatrist on the staff of a Scripps Hospital. Dr. Hatfield and his wife, Sandy, have been very active with the Scripps Hospital in Encinitas. Dr. Hatfield was Chief of Podiatric Surgery from 1985 through 1998. Sandy was Chairperson of the Annual Benefit to raise funds for the hospital expansion and also served on the fund-raising committee. Sandy works in the office with her husband, seeking to assist in the service to their patients.
During his practice time in Encinitas, Dr. Hatfield has taken part in a number of professional activities, both locally and nationally. At the local hospital, Scripps Memorial - Encinitas, he was Chairman of the Podiatric Surgery Committee for 14 years. He was also both Chief of Staff and Chief of Surgery at the Center For Surgery of Encinitas. He has worked with the American Board of Podiatric Surgery as an oral examiner during the board certification exams for 14 years, as well as the credentialing committee. He is also Past-President of the San Diego Podiatric Medical Society.
Dr. Hatfield was also active as the physician advisor for the People for a Clean Ocean. This is a group of citizens concerned about maintaining the quality of ocean water. Dr. and Mrs. Hatfield have two sons and reside in the Olivenhain area.
- Samuel Merritt College FKA California College of Podiatric Medicine, DPM, 1975
- California College of Podiatric Medicine in San Francisco
- California State PolytechnicUniversity, Pomona
- California College of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco D.P.M
- California College of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco B.S.
- U.S. Air Force Hospital Castle AFB
- American Podiatry Association
- California Podiatry Association
- San Diego County Podiatry Society
- American Board of Podiatric Surgery
- Diplomat, American Board of Podiatric Surgery
- Diplomat, American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine